Wednesday, February 25, 2009

OMG I am on the other side of the fence – The Mother-of-the-Groom!

Who knew what it is like to have your only child, a son, getting married and you, his Mom, is a photographer, and the wedding is taking place in another state, and you are NOT in charge. WOW!

The great part is that his new bride, Angelle, is wonderful, her family is terrific, and they are joyously happy. A Flock of Florida Friends arrived in Lafayette, Louisiana on Thursday of Mardi Gras weekend. We had a splendid dinner Thursday night at Randol’s Seafood house.

Friday, Angelle’s family hosted a true Louisiana crawfish boil with caldrons of crawfish, boiled corn, carrots, and potatoes, boudin, and other mysteriously marvelous Cajun seasonings. So fun to have the Louisianas teach us Floridians how to eat our supper. T’was truly a great mixer! Then, after we’d had bazillions of crawfish, we learned that crawfish etouffeé was next on the menu. And what a phenomenal treat Brenda’s etouffeé is! For that, we did not need eating instructions!

Saturday I ‘hostessed’ the Rehearsal Luncheon at Landry’s Cajun Seafood Restaurant in Breaux Bridge, LA. The theme was Wedding + Mardi Gras complete with lots of beads, masks, flowers and the traditional Mardi Gras King Cake. Saturday night was lots of rain, the Krewe of Bonaparte Mardi Gras parade, and globs of bead mongering!

The wedding was on Sunday at a lovely southern Victorian style home called Sunny Meade in Scott, LA. It was a chilly but bright breezy day. Angelle was a gorgeous bride, and her groom was, well, a very fine handsome guy. (Said without an ounce of prejudice!) Lots of you know James’s Best Man who was ‘our’ Melisa’s husband, Andy. I must say, the wedding was so incredible and I almost made it through without shedding too many tears. It was a joyous occasion for sure.

Now, many of you have asked if I photographed the wedding. The answer is a resounding NO, I did not! The beauty of having been a photographer for lots of years, and having been active in many Professional Organizations throughout the state, and having acquired lots of really good photographer friends, is that I, well, I got the best of the best!

I also got paid back in spades. You know how sometimes, after a session, you’ve said to
me, “Kate! There are soooooooo many good pictures here – how am I ever going to choose?” Well guess what. I have approximately 4,000 awesome images to play with!

Let me just say, “I feel your pain.”

No comments: